Tuesday 23 September 2008

Review Week - Alone In The Dark!

Okay, day two of review week and its a video game!
I thought when I started doing this, heck, I'm only ever gonna review good stuff. Then I remembered this game. I rented it a while back, thinking that the fire physics would be awesome, hyped as they were. Basically, fire is meant to spread realistically through the environment, creating light and heat as it goes.
So in goes the disc, and I'm not disappointing. I think to myself; "Wow, if the start is this much fun, how can it possibly go wrong?"
It went wrong.
The game starts off in a big, unnamed building. Once you start playing, though, these freaky demons start popping up all over the freakin' place. Its not scary though, they just look dumb. So the building starts falling down, and you have to escape. There is a crap driving bit, and then its on to Central Park.
The park is huge. It is totally free roaming, however it seems rather wasted on a linear game. You wont ever even see most of it, let alone go to it, until much later in the game. More on that later though. Its really only once you leave the building that the game breaks down.
The controls are broken, the camera is rubbish, the game play is repetitive and easy till about half way through, then becomes nearly impossible, then you have to trawl around the central park area of the game trying to find these roots of evil. The best part about this game is the fact that you can skip the shitty bits, but still, you can't skip this bit. I gave up without even doing one, it was so boring.
I haven't finished this game, and wouldn't if you paid me. Thank goodness that I didn't buy the darn thing.
No star.

No comments: